Thursday, January 26, 2006

So, today I go to my seamster (well, he's not a seamstress and alterer sounds like he does castrations). There's no parking except right out front in the no parking zone. I leave my emergency lights blinking, because if I get towed, that's exactly what it would be and run in. There's only one try on room and it's occupied -- by a woman who's talking on her cell phone. She's talking about how she's getting her dress altered. I can feel my blood pressure rising as I wait... and wait... and wait. Finally, little miss all important comes out in a rather unimaginatve gown and settles herself in front of the mirror. Finally. Now, we can get going here. Only... she doesn't know how long she wants the thing. She and the ever patient Mr. Lai try out various lengths, but the poor dear just can't make up her mind. Finally, she turns to me.
"Do you have an opinion?" She asks. Do I ever. But, to my credit, I simply reply with my own query.
"That depends on what you're wearing it to."
"The Grammys" she replies with a smirk. You might think that was the last straw. In fact, it was only the penultimate one. The last straw occured a spit second later as I spied a tow truck lumbering down the lane toward my unsuspecting Saab. So, you'll understand that, as I ran out the door, I gave the only appropriate response possible under the circumstances: "You're wearing THAT to the Grammys?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You cad!!!
- Ginny

Anonymous said...

(1)making decisions when it comes to a heamline can be very,very stressful & just because you didnt want your precious little car to get towed didnt warrant you to get your panties all in a bunch plus you KNOW that your seamster doesnt have an appropriate parking lot so get some STARBUCKS & chill (2)miss exaggeration, how long did you really wait...wait...wait??? really, good things take time (and lots & lots & lots of money :) but come on, patience is a virtue now & (3)PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANT fashion can not be rushed & is a serious process and requires just as serious decisions
the only reason she shouldnt wear the outfit to the Grammy's is if is a water stain on it or if her Jimmy Cho's dont match
UGH!! what are we going to do with you?

Doreen Orion said...

Oh, my! Someone's on the shmata, Lise.