Sunday, May 15, 2005

This is supposed to be a year of trying new things, expanding horizons. So, in that spirit, I agree (Tim’s idea) to go to a family nudist RV park.

I check around on the internet. One place seems promising, but I’m not quite clear what they’re about. I call and ask if they are clothing optional.
“No,” the lady unequivocally answers.
“Oh. I’m sorry. I must have the wrong information,” I apologize, hoping she doesn't think I'm some weirdo. But, something in her voice makes me query further.
“So, people don’t walk around naked?” I try to confirm.
“Oh, yes, they do.” She answers. Is this place English optional, perhaps?
“Okay… but you’re not clothing optional.” I offer slowly, with impeccable pronunciation.
“No, we’re nudist.” She snaps. Well, excuuuuse, me.
“I’m not sure I know the difference,” I concede. She explains that when inside the park, one is required to be naked. Now I get it. It was the optional, not the clothing, that was the problem in the whole clothing optional thing. Who knew? Fine, I decide to play along and proceed with what I think is a perfectly reasonable question.
“Can I wear shoes?” She laughs and muzzles the phone to call out to some other nuditity requiring linguaphile.
“She wants to know if she can wear shoes.”

For those of you as clueless as me, the answer is yes. Which means, then, that the correct expression should be partially nudist or perhaps shod optional.

Just think if the entire world were nudist, what expressions would we never have had the pleasure of using: butt crack (nothing to crack it with), get your shorts in a wad (nothing to wad up with) and picking lint out of one's navel (nothing to lintify with) and… ????? Anyone????

7 comments:

Doreen Orion said...

And, truly, with Pradas, does one even need to wear anything else?

Anonymous said...

But surely you can still carry a purse!
OK. I'll quite calling you surely.

Anonymous said...

More details about the nudist place!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering this morning about the lady on the other end of your phone inquiry. Suppose she was nude during said conversation? If so she must be super snotty. I can't imagine acting all superior and haughty while your butt is sticking to a vinyl chair.

Doreen Orion said...

And, I can't help wondering if you've been wondering about this all night!

Anonymous said...

That'll teach me to comment on a shrink's blog! (I'd put one of those smiley face punctuation things in instead of the exclamation mark, but I don't know how)

Doreen Orion said...

OOOps, sorry Sue. Forgot about you. I'm going to post about actually staying at the nudist place this weekend (you don't want to miss naked kareoke).