Saturday, September 17, 2005

In Haines, Alaska, we spend a delightful few… oh… I really have no idea how long… hours?… days?… tasting wine at Dave Menaker’s shack cum winery. This ain’t your Napa Valley. Dave greets his guests in a heavy, pullover work shirt, jeans and work boots (he also operates a sawmill out back -- hopefully not running both businesses at the same time). Tim and I were the only ones in the place and the samples ran wild and free -- onion, potato, blueberry, raisin, rose petal and dandelion wines were just a few of the selections, with Triscuits proffered for the obligatory palate cleansing. I was totally blitzed by the time we left (fortunately, he also offers a carry-out service -- not the bottles -- the spouses) as evidenced by my suggestions of possibilities for future vintages, including a cat/dog hair variety, marketed to eccentric little old ladies who’d want to drink a memorial toast to their dearly departed Flopsies. To his credit, Dave was amused. Or, at least the other Dave standing next to him was. Well, maybe one of them was only feigning amusement. But, that was when the room starting spinning, so I can’t really be sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doreen,
Where are you now? I just want to tell you that my wife and I have so enjoyed reading your travel log. I truely hope you put your travels into book form and if you do I hope you will sign my copy.

Being a retired cop I also want to tell you how I appreciate your book on stalking. I gave my copy to so many domestic violence victims I finally had to throw it away. I just started giving them the title info and told them where they could get it. keep up the great dialog. I live vicariously through your travels.

Ron & Brenda Speidel

Doreen Orion said...

Ron and Brenda,
Thanks so much, especially for your kind words on my stalking book. I must say, I'm glad you finally got them to buy their own copy!

We're home now, back in CO. I've been a bit remiss keeping up with the blog because I've been working on a book proposal for my "bus memoir." I'll keep you posted, and thanks so much, again!
-Doreen
Doreen

Anonymous said...

Please post more about Alaska when you get a chance. We're planning a trip there next summer in our Eagle. When will articles about it appear in Bus Conversions?
- Bus Nut

Anonymous said...

Doreen,
My Aunt in Haines forwarded this link to me today. I want you to know that you have given me yet another vision into how others saw my dad, and what meeting him has meant to them. The "winery" you visited, was my childhood home at one time. It still holds a dear place in my heart, although I am unable live there. It has since fallen into disrepair. The grass is over grown, the insulation has fallen in one of the rooms, and the old truck my dad used to drive is even more rusted (if that is possible). You see, my dad passed away this last May. The 27th to be exact. He lost his battle with Lymohoma. Please keep him and his passion for Alaskan wine in your heart, so he can live through your stories. Thank you. Natasha

Anonymous said...

Doreen,

Your story about meeting my husband. David, in our Great Land Wines winery in Haines Alaska is a bittersweet read for me. My daughter sent your blog to me some time ago. I can only now respond.

I am glad to know other people enjoyed him and the experience of a tiny business venture that depended on him and his passion to make good and truly different wines with the flavor of the Last Frontier.

When he died in May we lost not only a wonderful husband and father but a true Alaskan and a winery that could have been. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience meeting David Menaker. RIP

Jeanie Menaker